Wednesday, September 21, 2011

TKD!

My 4yo started TKD lessons a few weeks back. He was very resistant initially, but we told him to TRY and if he really doesn't like it, then we'll stop.

And I'm really proud of him because he really tried out the lesson and HAD FUN! He loved the physical warm ups (running around the basketball court).

However, I got a little worried based on the feedback from my maid. The instructor told them to run 'half-court', but my silly boy ran the whole full court (on his own, without following the rest). Then, the following lesson, the instructor told them to run and touch the nearest white line, then run back. My silly boy, went to touch ALL the white lines before running back.

Then it got me thinking... Was he HYPERACTIVE? Could it be that he DOESN'T LISTEN TO INSTRUCTIONS?
Then I panicked. I got Daddy to sit there to observe. And we found the problem: The instructor wasn't very clear on his instructions, and the lesson was pretty boring.
The instructor spoke in broken English which my boy had trouble comprehending (I don't blame him, we all speak to him in proper English). And the pace of the class was really slow, so if he has any opportunity to 'have fun', he would!

But at the end of the day, I have a happy 4yo who would proudly show me what he had learned in class. & his endless energy was spent (giving some peace). We spoke to him about following instructions and asking when he was unclear. He's finally 'tuned' to his instructor's spoken English and is enjoying the lessons tremendously.

I'm very glad we chose to add in some non-academic enrichment to give him a well-rounded experience. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments!