Friday, July 9, 2010

Why I sent my boy to ChildCare at 18 months old :)

Articles Contributed at KiasuParents.com
http://www.kiasuparents.com/kiasu/content/why-i-choose-sent-my-boy-childcare-18-months-old


I sent my boy to childcare at 18 months old.
Although I have a maid and my dad can help to look after during the day, I still sent him to childcare. Why?
At home, there's hardly any 'meaningful activity' during the day. He just plays on his own while my maid is busy with housework and preparing his food/clothes/etc.
My dad is not trained in education and does not know how to teach or what to teach. All he will do is play with my boy, bring him down for walks and let him watch TV. Nothing much learnt at home during the day when we are at work.
At childcare, my boy learnt to interact with other children. He learnt to share (something which is quite hard to teach at home since he's the only child at the moment). He learnt to be more vocal and verbalise his needs. He learnt to feed himself (something which may not happen with my maid and dad spoiling him at home). He learnt to pack up after himself (must put all the toys back at original place; though we enforce this at home, it's hard for him to carry it out. At school, all the kids do it together, so there's some peer pressure). He also learn to stand up for himself and defend himself when bullied. They also taught him to be very hygienic (must wipe up or wash up immediately after getting dirty).

Alot of 'softskills' which is hard for us to teach at home due to doting grandparents is taught in childcare.
Then there's academic knowledge too. They have storytelling everyday, song & dance, flashcards, art & crafts, etc etc. Their day is so fun filled. My boy enjoyed it very much.
Of cos the usual concerns of falling sick easily, getting HFMD, etc was there too.

We chose a SMALL childcare, not crowded, well seperated classes, good hygiene practices. In my boy's 1.5 years there, he got HFMD once but it was from church, not from childcare.
Before we started him in the CCC, we started him on some supplements to help boost his immune system. Probiotics, colostrum and multivits (due to his poor appetite at that time) were given 2-3 months before he started CCC.
He did not fall sick often like what others would mention. He only fell sick twice, once with HFMD, once with flu (got it from me & my hb).
Since we have extra help at home, my parents will take turns to pick my boy up at 5pm everyday instead of waiting till closing time, 7pm. My hb starts work rather late, so he sends my boy in at around 9+am everyday.
Now that my boy is older and easier to manage (more independant, will spend his time doodling, writing, playing on his own), we send him to a kindergarten (few hours a day). It's more academic focused, which is what hb & I want.
It's really up to individual needs and wants, plus how much your family can chip in to help

I think since it's SAHM or WAHM, for 3yo kid, can find a preschool for few hours a day instead of CC (Pre-nursery like my boy).

I know of SAHMs who send their kids to half day CC to have some 'alone time' and some time to catch up on housework. Some of them have A FEW kids at home (young babies), so they send the older ones to CC so that they can manage the baby in the day.