Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Supplements? Health Food? Healthy Diet?

My son is currently 3.5yo. Breastfed baby until 18mths old and entered CCC once he turned 18mths.

2 months before he started CCC, my hubby and I decided to give him supplements to boost his immune system as I was running out of breastmilk at that time too (I stopped expressing/latching when he was 1yo. From 1yo till 18mths old, he was drinking frozen EBM which I managed to stock up in our chest freezer).

I actually chanced across iHerb while searching for Organic Mother's Milk (to help boost my breastmilk supply). Cheap and reliable :)

My usual shopping hunts for ORGANIC or NATURAL products:

- Supplements/Toothpaste/Shampoo/Bodywash/Snacks:
http://www.iherb.com/
(Use YAF688 for US$5 discount)
This website is reliable. I've been purchasing from them since JAN 2007. Loyal customer due to their reliability and efficiency. They direct ship to SG through normal mail (for light items) or DHL. DHL has been very flexi with delivery timings, even had a special delivery to me at midnight before cause I requested for them to send it to me immediately.
EXPIRY DATES for products all clearly listed on the website. Great for those who like to stock up (like me).

- Organic food: NTUC (AMK Hub), Brown Rice Paradise (Tanglin Mall)

- Occasionally: Vitakids (Paragon) -> They have the same things as iHerb. Sometimes too urgent and iHerb needs at least 3-5 workings days, so I will buy from Vitakids first. Price is 30-50% higher than buying from iHerb (include shipping charges).

In 2007, I started buying from iHerb.com. However, at that time, they did not have international shipping and we had to go through 3rd party shipping forwarders (www.vpost.com.sg or www.borderlinx.com). It added to the cost. Then in 2008, they started to offer international shipping, which meant that they shipped DIRECT TO US! I was hooked and have been purchasing from them ever since. I personally have recommended many mummies to purchase from them too and they have given me very positive feedback!


Let me share more information about the products I purchase regularly:

At first, we started off with this supplement: http://www.iherb.com/Childlife-Colostrum-with-Probiotics-Orange-Pineapple-Flavor-50-g-Powder-1-7-oz/10630?at=0
(FYI: GNC is selling this exact same product for $70+, even with their massive member discounts, you can't match the price you get from iHerb!)
Now, we've changed to this brand (cheaper due to large pack): http://www.iherb.com/Symbiotics-Colostrum-Plus-Powder-1-lb-5-oz/4091?at=0
They also have pill form for adults: http://www.iherb.com/Symbiotics-Colostrum-Plus-Capsules-240-Capsules/4090?at=0

It's COLOSTRUM and it's known to boost immune systems, just like how breastmilk helps to boost immune systems.
After my boy started, his CCC teachers commented to us on many occasions that my boy did not fall sick at all though many others kids are ill (cough and runny noses). They said that on an average, young kids who attend CCC will fall ill at least once a month. However, during his 1.5 years at that CCC, he only fell ill 3 times. Once was HFMD (very mild) and the other two times were bouts of flu where he was still active but we decided not to send him to school so that he won't spread it to other kids.
A few other mummies from a motherhood forum have also given positive feedback ever since they started their kids on it. In fact, they were so impressed they bought the pills for themselves and loved it. Feedback from them is that they do not fall ill as often (she mentioned she used to have constant sore/itchy throat) and do not feel as tired all the time.


Another product I love:
http://www.iherb.com/Nature-s-Way-Sambucus-for-Kids-Berry-Flavored-8-fl-oz-240-ml/9342?at=0
It contains POLLEN, which is not recommended for young children as some might be allergic.

Another brand which is also sambucol but no pollen added:
http://www.iherb.com/Sambucol-Black-Elderberry-Immune-System-Support-Liquid-For-Kids-Berry-Flavored-4-fl-oz-120-ml/16697?at=0

Both brands are available at VitaKids if you are keen to take a look at the actual products. Due to the urgency at that time, we purchased our first bottle from VitaKids (so exp). Subsequently, we actually ordered from iHerb :)

In 2008, my son had a mild bout of HFMD. Someone in another forum recommended SAMBUCOL (Black Elderberry). This was very effective when my boy had HFMD. His symptoms were super mild and he ate, played and misbehaved as usual. Usually kids will suffer alot during HFMD with ulcers in the mouth/throat, unable to eat, unable to rest well, etc. My boy was a perfect monkey, other than the red spots and 2 small ulcers in his mouth. Many of my friends who tried it on their kids when they had HFMD also reported good improvement and lesser 'suffering' on their kids.

Now, when he shows sign of runny nose, itchy throat, cough, etc. I immediately give him SAMBUCOL. It is a herbal remedy that's good for viral infections. I do not give daily because it's rather strong.


Another product I love is PROBIOTICS!
Although this is easily available at supermarkets (Vitagen & Yakult), I do not like the sugar content in those products (I'm very strict about sugar content in my son's food).

So I give this:
http://www.iherb.com/Source-Naturals-Acidophilus-Powder-Freeze-Stabilized-2-oz-56-7-g/1012?at=0

It is heat stable which means it can tolerate shipping better. :)
This is taken by the whole family (my maid included) :)


Now, I know many parents think I'm mad by being so strict and fussy with my boy's diet.

Why are you so strict about his food?
- Healthy habits start from young.
My boy was not exposed to any form of seasoning until he tasted adult food at 2.5yo. And adult food for him is a rare treat (when we dine out).
He does not like sweet or salty foods now. Mac fries, without salt pls. Give him a sweet, he'll give it back to me. Jelly, only unsweetened ones. Potato chips, he'll use a tissue to wipe off the seasoning.
We dont't have to delibrately control his 'junk food' intake now that he's old enough to express what he likes & wants.

- I was not given vege regularly when I was young, so end up growing up to dislike vege. I don't want the same thing to happen to my boy. So we encourage him to take vege. He loves crunchy vege, so we give him long beans, french beans, cucumber, etc.

- Healthy diet = healthy child
Less oil, no sugar, no salt.
Before he was 2.5yo, all his 'junk food' like chips and fries are HOME MADE. Slice up the potatoes, pat them dry, bake in oven
Snacks = raisins, dried cranberries (also from iHerb: http://www.iherb.com/Eden-Foods-Organic-Dried-Cranberries-4-oz-113-g/13843?at=0), dried apricots, etc. I have a food dehydrator at home to dry fruits on our own too When he was younger, we puree fruits to make fruit rolls which I cut into small squares to give him as 'sweets'. It's like rewards for him when he finishes his meals

- Healthy snacks?
My boy eats organic cereals or those adult cereals (low sugar/salt).
Or plain cornflakes with fruits. Yum Yum!

For parents who do not mind giving their kids sweets, here's something to make you feel better: ORGANIC LOLLIPOPS! Made from natural fruit juices! http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=organic+lollipop

I buy these for my students & they love them. Some flavours have a natural sourness to them and my students keep wanting more!
Guardian/Watsons do sell them, but the price is much higher!
They also have candy drops (sweets with the stick).

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments!