Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Nature VS Nurture

Common question that many parents ask me: "How did you teach your boy?  Is it inherited? Or nurtured?"

I really don't know. All I know is that I do my best as a parent.

When I was pregnant/breastfeeding, I took alot of fish and fish oils. Research has shown that increased DHA does help to increase mental capabilities.

So, I'm a kiasu mother, loaded up on those.

My recommendation: http://www.iherb.com/New-Chapter-Wholemega-Prenatal-500-mg-90-Softgels/22651?at=0

It is from 100% WILD Alaskan Salmon.

WILD fishes have lower toxins like mercury or other heavy metals. So you need not worry about indirectly taking in toxins which might harm your baby.
This is good for preggie & BF mummies.

Well, I'm not breastfeeding anymore, but I still keep up this kiasu regime.

This is what I started for my boy: http://www.iherb.com/Childlife-Cod-Liver-Oil-Strawberry-Flavor-8-fl-oz-237-ml/8521?at=0
But he did not like strawberry flavour, so we changed to: http://www.iherb.com/Nordic-Naturals-Arctic-Cod-Liver-Oil-Orange-Flavor-16-fl-oz-473-ml/4192?at=0
Now I've changed to this: http://www.iherb.com/Twinlab-Norwegian-Cod-Liver-Oil-Unflavored-Flavor-12-fl-oz-355-ml/2417?at=0
Main reason for change is because this brand is certified free from heavy metals :)

Again, being extremely kiasu, I did not leave it up to 'nature'. We sent him for numerous classes, taught him at home and carefully selected his kindy. Teaching him at home is really fun. Exposure to wide range of vocab, encouraging him to speak up, creating games to play with him, etc etc.

Even if you have a tight budget, the key is EXPOSURE. Bring them to the park to learn about insects, plants and small animals that live there. It's free (probably pay for transport if the park is not near your place). Bring them to the supermarket to learn about fruits, vegetables, objects, etc etc. Supermarkets are the best place to learn the names of different items. It's FREE plus the kids get to TOUCH the items

Plus, I bought alot of educational CDs (VCDs, CD Rom) for him. When my maid is busy and has to cook/do housework, she will turn on for him to watch. Now, he has learnt to turn on the TV & DVD player himself. He will choose his own disks and play them to watch.


***
Don't forget to use discount code YAF688 to get US$5 off your first purchase!
***

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share Your Comments!